Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fame for resentment

We've all resented work we've done in the past... This subject of toil and labour is one that I have discussed in past blog entries. My interest, (bordering on passion) for why we work and our attitude towards our work has once again found expression through an interesting source.

I stumbled across this incredible site which has used 360 degree panoramic technology with high res photographs (not unlike gigipan technology) and at first I was just amazed at the site. The spectacle that lies before me on a computer screen is the Sistine Chapel and I am not for one moment claiming that this site in any way simulates the grandeur and pure ambiance that an observer in the Sistine Chapel would encounter, but having never witnessed it first hand, the site tweaked my interest.

Sistine Chapel


If ever someone has mentioned Sistine Chapel in the past, my poor performance in Std. 4 history does conjure up one image, and that is of a painter named Michelangelo lying on his back to paint narratives covering 1100 square meters of ceiling with the most intricate detail possible. What I didn't realise is that Michelangelo resented his commission, he believed his work only served the Pope's need for grandeur, (which in reality probably holds true, but that's a debate for another day). The point being, that something a man literally despised for it's motive, even while involved in conducting a passion, literally became his "crowning glory", one of the most defining accolades of who he is or should I say was, today.

It is not for us to question why we do what we do, so long as our passion is in it, so long as we acknowledge there is a purpose in it, perceived or not. Once again, I encourage everyone to work with all their hearts and remember that "it is good for a man to enjoy his toil under the sun". You never know what may become in the future, of what you think is trivial today.

No comments: