Friday, June 08, 2007

Primal Instincts

I've procrastinated for too long now... I must share one of the highlights so far in all of my life, a BIG Tick on my "list of things to do before I die". I had the awesome (and I use that in the God glorifying way that it should be used) privilege of encountering the rare mountain Gorilla... not just one, but a family of twenty-three. Granted, I have seen Lowland Gorillas too, but that was in a sanctuary in Cameroon and although it too stands as a highlight in my life, it was nothing compared with this life-changing event.
We were based in The Gorilla Forest Camp in Bwindi Impenetrable Park in Uganda. The park does indeed earn its status as impenetrable when one begins to venture into the forest. The density of trees and entangled vines makes the journey off the beaten path an impossibility without a machete in hand. Approximately 330 of the 700 last remaining Mountain Gorillas in the world reside in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and few people are fortunate enough to encounter them.
On the morning of the 22nd of May 2007, enthusiastic tourists grouping together at the Uganda Wildlife Authority's offices shared evil grins amongst themselves and passed snide comments under their breath as they learned that this crazy South African with a 13 Kg camera slung over his shoulder along with his presenter and soundman each with "well supplied" bag in hand, were tracking 'group H'. Our permit indicated that we were assigned to 'group H'... the advantage: it is a family of twenty three Gorillas - two silverbacks and several juveniles the draw cards within the 23-, the disadvantage: it is a family that just the day before had taken no less than 5 hours to locate in extremely mountainous, densely forested terrain, we were in for a hike of noteworthy proportions. After three and a half hours of steep mulch covered inclines, 80% humidity and several tracking shots in the bag, we met up with the scouts who had gone before us that morning to locate the group. In fear of disappointment for not finding them, I had contained my excitement up to now, but this was it, we'd caught up with them, and I could no longer contain the anticipation. Some minor preparation of camera gear and a bum slide down the steepest slope of the day, across a fern lined stream and there it was... my first sighting of a forest gorilla, albeit a rear end disappearing into the dense undergrowth. After ten minutes or so of following them through dense vegetation, they settled down to play and forage. Babies nursing on mother's bosom, adolescents rough and tumbling like unruly children, juveniles swinging from branches and the ever watchful silver backs chilled but vigilant as they lay spread across the forest floor. Their mannerisms, nurturing instincts and for some of the less fortunate among us, their looks could not resemble us more closely. It was this, and their apparent 'intelligence' that captivated me! Truly, this was an emotional experience and one that I will never ever forget, sadness welled up within me as I considered the depleting numbers of this beautiful creature but as we were ushered away after our brief 1 hour encounter with our "wild relatives", I was encouraged by the conservation efforts & the passion I saw in the guides, these animals are safe for now, my prayer is that my children and my children's children will one day experience such a life altering encounter with this gentle giant.

2 comments:

Bruce said...

So dude, when u gonna write a book? Your life is a blessed one man, all because - i believe - attributable to your humble acknowledement of Christ...

Thanks mate!

Bruce said...

my last comment made no sense grammatically, simply because i started the sentence, was interrupted and then completed it post interruption... sorry...